Monday, August 21, 2017

August 20 - Mt. Baker National Recreation Area

Park Butte Trail

Total Miles: 7.5
Elevation Gain: 2,200 feet
Highlights: Meadows, wildflowers, berries, views of Mt. Baker, historic fire lookout


Sunday was my second shift as a volunteer Mountain Steward this summer.  Last time, I was on the Skyline Divide trail on the north side of Mount Baker, and this time I was on the Park Butte Trail on the south side of the volcano.  Overall, I crossed paths with 133 people on the trail and chatted with 45 of them.  



It was a nice day weather wise - mostly sunny, not too hot, a pleasant breeze.  Unfortunately, a lenticular cloud obscured the summit of Mount Baker the entire day.  I did learn that a lenticular cloud typically indicates a change in weather is coming in the next 24 hours.  However, it's been 24 hours since the hike and the weather has not changed.  


There were still a few wildflowers blooming in the upper meadows and the blueberries in the lower meadows were very close to being ripe - a bit tart still so I didn't pick any.  I could hear several pika in the rock fields, but could never catch a glimpse of one.  They are very quick, sneaky creatures.  I will be back on this same trail next weekend for my final Mountain Steward shift of the summer, so maybe I'll get lucky and see a pika then.

WTA has made a lot of improvements to this trail over the years.  They have had work parties along the Park Butte Trail pretty much every summer that I have been a volunteer Mountain Steward.  That work wouldn't be possible without donations, so please consider sponsoring my Hike-A-Thon campaign by visiting my fundraising site.  

No comments:

Post a Comment