Tuesday, August 29, 2017

August 27 - Mount Baker National Recreation Area

Railroad Grade Trail

Total Miles: 7
Elevation Gain: 2,000 feet
Highlights: up-close views of Mt. Baker, wildflowers, marmots
More information: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/railroad-grade


Sunday was my final shift as a volunteer Mountain Steward for this summer.  I was stationed with another volunteer in the Mt. Baker National Recreation Area, as I often am.  By now, I have hiked this trail system dozens of times.  However, today's hike was quite memorable for several reasons.

First of all, it was HOT from the get-go.  Usually, even on warm days, things start out cool and gradually warm up, but it was noticeably warm from the moment we got out of the car.  In fact, the other volunteer and I both ran out of water before finishing the hike.  We were about a half mile from the car when I ran out of water in my pack, which was no big deal because I had a big bottle in the car, but that means I went through three liters of water during the day.  I have NEVER run out of water before, even on hikes much more strenuous than this.  



Secondly, we crossed paths with an official Forest Service ranger who was hiking up the trail before setting up a little information table at the trailhead.  She was hiking in uniform but with no backpack, no food, and no water.  She had her radio in one hand and her cell phone and keys in her pocket.  That was it.  She asked us if she could have a few sips of our water before heading back down.  She was not setting a very good example for other hikers on the trail.


Finally, as we were returning to the trailhead, we came around a bend in the trail to see an older gentleman falling over and his hiking partner trying to keep him from tumbling over the downhill side of the trail.  We were able to help get him seated on the trail and get some food and water in him, and before long he was able to start making his way down the trail again (very slowly).  The other volunteer Mountain Steward I was working with is a flight attendant, so she has had some extra medical training and was able to take the lead in handling the situation.  My basic first aid skills just weren't cutting it when it came to dealing with a guy who had a number of health issues and was most likely suffering from some level of heat exhaustion.  In the end everything worked out just fine, but it's the closest I've ever come to having to actually use my radio for more than just check-ins.  


All in all, it was still a really nice day of hiking with perfectly clear skies, some wildflowers still blooming, and several marmot sightings.  

Hike-A-Thon ends in just a few days.  Make a donation now!

Mom and Dad, thanks for your donation!

No comments:

Post a Comment